The IPMS-Central Otago Model Society (COMS) hosted South Island members of the New Zealand International Plastic Modelllers Society (IPMS) in Alexandra, Central Otago over the Blossom Festival weekend of 26 - 27 September 2020.
Full Judging Results at the bottom of this page
IPMS members from Christchurch to Invercargill attended to compete for top honours for their model building skills across a range of subject areas, including aircraft, military equipment, civilian vehicles, dioramas, ships, figures, science fiction and miscellaneous items. Members formed judging teams to assess the quality of model building and rate each model against gold, silver or bronze construction and presentation standards. The models were then assessed for the best in each Category, and those models were re-assessed to determine the Best in each Class.The top models in each Class were then reviewed by the judges for awarding the positions of 'Best in Show' and 'Best in Show - Runner up'.
At a social event on Saturday evening the COMS Event Manager Steve Hills announced the winners of 'Best in Class', 'Best in Show' and 'Runner-up to Best in Show' and presented the awards. The modellers found out their various judging awards the following morning when they saw the ribbons that had been placed beside their models.The COMS President also awarded five winners in his slightly obscure 'Presidents Choice' Categories.
Best in Show:
Zane Purdom of Christchurch for his 'Charge of the Light Brigade', Model # 157 in the D2 (Figure Vignettes) Category.
Runner up to Best in Show:
Craig Robertson of Christchurch for his 'Sd.kfz 251/9 KANONENWAGEN', Model # 125 in the B4 (Military Armour) Category.
The COMS wish to thank:
- NZ Models for donation of model kits for the event.
- Garry Greer and Lester Kidd of NZ Models for making available their modelling stock for attendee purchase opportunities.
- The Goldfields Miniatures Club of Alexandra for displaying their hand-crafted miniature models.
- Lochland, Dave, Quinn, Grant and Rex for displaying and running model railway layouts.
- COMS members Steve Hills, Simon, Steve Hinchliffe, Ronald, Nigel and Dave for providing a welcome to the public at the entrance.
Awards and Pictures
All judging results are listed in this document: SI-IPMS 2020 - Awards and Ribbons
Pictures of Best in Class Models and from other display scenes are shown on the next two pages.